League Forums

Main - Team News

The Green Bay Press Gazette

By clntgrne
5/27/2019 2:27 am
Without even finishing their dismal 2021 campaign, the worlds only fan-owned team has ousted their General Manager unceremoniously. Last night an emergency shareholders’ meeting was held, and for 3 hours fans roasted the previous regime for not making enough roster moves to keep the club in contention. Angry cheeseheads could be heard shouting obscenities from their stoops across Lombardi Avenue. At the end of the night a vote was cast and the previous decision makers were released and an interim GM was put in his place.

Many believe the new GM (an up-and-comer in the world of football and an area scout under the previous regime) could stick around for the long haul. “He should have been named GM a long time ago; the complacency went on far too long” one owner was heard saying. Green Bay has long been a draft-and-develop team, but the new GM has vowed to pursue every avenue available. In a brief post-meeting presser with the freshly named GM we were told to expect more roster moves than in years past, and possibly big splashes in free agency. “We really want to start holding everyone accountable in a way we haven’t been doing recently. That includes the players, my scouting staff and especially the coaches. We want everyone on the same page, and that may mean letting go of some staff that don’t fit in with our new vision.” When asked if Head Coach Derek Tucker’s job was on the line, he replied only that every possibility was still on the table.

And with that, a new era has begun in America’s Dairyland. Will the Lombardi Trophy return to title town?

Re: The Green Bay Press Gazette

By clntgrne
6/08/2019 4:15 am
The king is dead – long live the king.

Derek Tucker, former Head Coach of Green Bay has been relieved of his duties. With a paltry record of 22-57-1, coach Tucker will go down as the least winningest coach in franchise history. The new GM released the following statement:

“The 2021 season has not lived up to the expectations and standards of Green Bay. As a result, I made the difficult decision to relieve Derek Tucker of his role as head coach, effective immediately. Derek has been an admirable head coach and leader of the team for 4 seasons. We want to thank Derek, his wife, Elizabeth, and the rest of the Tucker family for all that they have done for this organization and the Green Bay and Wisconsin communities. We will immediately begin the process of selecting the next head coach of this Green Bay football club.”

Former Defensive Coordinator, Mark Low, retired this week as well. "I spent these years giving everything I had to these men, but in the end the writing was on the wall." When asked if he was approached about staying he said that their were talks, but that "you just know when it's your time to move on."

Rumors have swirled about who the new GM – who has already made sweeping changes to the roster – will look to for this team's leadership. "Well, we've had some miscommunications in the past. Our coordinators have never been fully synced up with one vision – one goal, but I am going to insist upon this with our new regime. We want to hit the ground running as soon as possible so we'll be making decisions on successors soon." Some believe the rising star and Defensive Coordinator for New England, Devin Purnell, is the front runner and favorite for the job. We will have a report when the news breaks.
Last edited at 6/08/2019 4:23 am

By clntgrne
6/09/2019 1:07 pm
The Packers have hired New England's defensive coordinator Devin Purnell as their next head coach. The team officially announced the move on Sunday night.

"Devin is smart, organized and has a great vision for the path forward for our team," Green Bay's general manager said in a team statement. "His values and personality fit the culture of our organization. He has a tremendous ability to build relationships on multiple levels, which is a very important aspect in leading a football team."

Purnell led New England's 4-3 scheme for the past 4 years, but looks to bring in a zone-heavy look here in Green Bay. "We did a lot of blitzing there, but I think the secondary is where the game is really won or lost," he said.

Green Bay has also brought in Johnathan Dean, the defensive line coach for Minnesota and previous head coached in San Francisco. "You know, I think our philosophies aligned really well. I've talked with Devin a few times at the draft combine and a few other places and felt that our styles really make a lot of sense together. I'm excited about the kind of things we can cook up together here."

Purnell also brings in a new-look offense, focusing more on the West Coast vibe. Offensive coordinator Bill Blair was over the moon with Purnell's hire. "Devin and I are on the same page on a level that we just haven't had here in Green Bay. Conversations have been open and honest from the get-go, and I think the players will benefit from this madman posting the helm."

Spirits are high here in Lambeau as coaches find their new offices – a new hope has arrived. Everyone seems locked in and focused on the next task: the draft.

By Pernbronze
6/09/2019 3:56 pm
Minnesota also released a statement lamenting the loss of a favorite coach in Dean and praising his ability while wishing him well in him well in his new role so long as he sabotages Green Bay every time they play Minnesota.

By clntgrne
6/24/2019 3:51 am
Coming out of training camp the new GM has made good on his promise to revamp the roster, boasting a more-than 50% roster turn-over since the ousting mid-season last year. With many savvy moves to bring in fresh free agents and deep barrel diving to flesh out the bottom half of the roster, there is a stirring hope in the state of Wisconsin. The biggest hope yet – the newly entering rookie class.

Many onlookers lined the fence of Ray Nitschke field just off of Oneida St watching the last days of Training Camp, 2022. Cheering erupted as rookie free safety (and first round pick) Jason Robbins broke up a play-action pass from veteran quarterback Mark Lane. "There's a lot of excitement around here. We haven't had that for a couple of years now," said one fan. "Twenty six there really looks the part," he said, gesturing to the rookie play-maker.

All three of the top picks in this year's draft have been given carte blanche as starters on this season's defense. Alfred Richardson, a 6'2", 260lb edge rusher could be seen chatting with d-line coach Ron Plant, (one of the few hold-overs from the old coaching staff). It was clear watching the few reps we were able to see that he would be running with the ones come season-start. "He posses rare bend that is hard to come by," new defensive coordinator Johnathan Dean said. "To be perfectly frank, it was hard to keep him off the field."

Matt Wattson, the final of the first three picks, is a linebacker of many talents. Primarily playing the Sam Linebacker role, he'll also have some duties as a Jack in the more 3-4 alignments. "Boy, does he just like to hit somebody," said new linebackers coach John Shaw. "He's one of them boys that just wants that physical contact. Ain't no one gonna stand in his way after the ball."

With only days until the first preseason game, the entire state of Wisconsin is on their feet with anticipation. We won't really know how well this team will do until the pads come on, but from what we've seen so far, there's a chance this team could be special.

More on scheme changes under new head coach Devin Purnell coming next week after the first few preseason games.
Last edited at 6/24/2019 3:55 am